“Phosphorus – current challenges for agriculture and the environment” conference in Puławy
On 15th – 16th June 2015 at the Institute of Soil Science and Plant Cultivation – State Research Institute in Puławy there was scientific conference held – “Phosphorus – current challenges for agriculture and the environment”.
The conference was organized by the Department of Plant Nutrition and Fertilization within the framework of Long Term Programme. It covered the below issues:
- Monitoring the impact of agriculture on polluting of surface water, groundwaters and Baltic Sea
- Monitoring indicators of soil fertility, taking into account the structural and organizational transformations in the agriculture.
The conference was divided into 4 thematic sessions:
- Phosphorus in plant nutrition
- Management of phosphorus in the agriculture
- Environmental aspects of phosphorus management
- Sources of phosphorus in the present agriculture
The conference gathered 144 participants, representing 23 country scientific institutes, Regional Chemical and Agricultural Stations, Central Statistical Office in Poland, Institute of Meteorology and Water Management and Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. The added value of the conference was presence of representatives of companies involved in production and distribution of mineral fertilizers in Poland, who also had the opportunity to present their products.
There were 20 papers and 52 works presented within the framework of poster session.
The conference provided valuable information, enabled integration of scientific environment and outlined the current state of knowledge and research on phosphorus. The discussion repeatedly emphasized that despite the fact that phosphorus is a fundamental and extremely important nutrient for plants there was too little attention devoted to it.